The advice I’d give to the me of 25 years ago.
- Label all your wires, label all your plugs, label all your PSUs, keep the wires untangled using any number of mechanisms and keep them separate, in compartments, or hanging off nails individually.
- The Internet is coming. It’s big, it’s cool, it’s insanely attractive, but don’t let it distract you.
- Don’t worry about art. Write the game. Art can come later. (Which I had learned through another maxim I followed in the late ’80s – don’t worry about the final mix, write the song with just a guitar, the production can come later. The song had to stand up with just a guitar and voice.)
- Getting it done is much more important than getting it right. You can learn how to get it right from getting it done.
- You’ll have setbacks. Don’t worry. The only permanent setback is death. You can probably handle just about anything else. And you’re going to have to.